Have your ever heard of TMJ disorder? Also known as TMD, this jaw joint disorder can lead to seriously uncomfortable symptoms, as well as other complications. Fortunately, we have a comfortable and minimally-invasive solution to TMD for our patients in Gary, IN.
Try Our Quiz on TMJ Disorder
- True or False: A popping jaw could be a warning sign.
- True or False: TMD can be linked to bruxism.
- True or False: Lack of treatment can lead to complications.
- True or False: An oral appliance can help.
- True. Patients with the disorder often experience a popping or crackling sensation in the jaw, as well as jaw pain, facial discomfort, pain in the neck or shoulders, and persistent headaches. If one or more of these potential symptoms applies to you, then contact our team for a diagnosis.
- True. TMD occurs when the jaw joints undergo excessive strain, which can be caused by tooth loss, injury to the jaw or face, misalignment, and yes, bruxism (teeth grinding). We will need to uncover the root cause of your jaw joint strain in order to recommend the most appropriate treatment option.
- True. Without treatment, you can eventually have trouble fully opening and closing your mouth. You can also become more likely to develop bruxism, which can damage teeth over time and lead to a greater risk of tooth decay and dental infection.
- True. An oral appliance is like a nightguard and will be worn as you sleep. The device repositions the jaw to ease strain and stop further TMD-related discomfort. We can also treat the issue with the placement of a custom-made restoration or through orthodontic treatment. If you have any questions about recognizing and treating TMJ disorder, then contact our team for more information.
Does Your Jaw Hurt?
We can help pinpoint the cause of your discomfort and recommend treatment. To schedule an appointment with your dentist, contact Healthy Smiles in Gary, IN, by calling 219-938-2637, or by emailing our office at email@example.com. We also proudly serve the residents of Gary, Miller, Miller Beach, and all surrounding communities.