A dental emergency means any sudden pain or injury to the teeth or gums. We can see you as soon as possible, addressing injuries before they grow worse and further threaten your oral health. However, there are steps you can take in between your injury and when you walk through our door to reduce discomfort. Let’s talk about how to respond to common dental emergencies.
Dental Emergency Information
- Saving a Knocked-Out Tooth: If you knock a tooth out, pick it up right away and rinse it under gently running water to remove dirt and foreign debris. Be sure you only pick it up by the crown, or visible portion, never touch the root. You can then place the tooth in a glass of milk or salt water and bring it with you. A piece of cloth or gauze can stem bleeding and a cold compress against the side of the face can reduce swelling.
- Addressing Chipped Teeth: Try to recover any pieces you can and bring them with you to the office. If you can’t don’t worry, we can still repair the tooth. Again, a piece of cloth or gauze can help address your bleeding, and a cold compress is a great way to avoid serious swelling.
- Sudden Toothaches: If you tooth suddenly hurts, first gently floss on either side of it. If this fails to address the problem, give us a call. You can take an over-the-counter pain reliever to reduce discomfort before seeing us.
- Food Caught Between Teeth: If something is stuck between your teeth, only use floss to try and dislodge it. Anything else could end up damaging the gums and causing further pain. If you can’t remove the object, then give us a call.
- Loose or Lost Restorations: If a restoration, such as a filling or crown, becomes loose or lost, give us a call right away. Avoid any sugary foods and drinks in the meantime, as these could lead to discomfort.
Do You Need Emergency Dentistry?
We can help you with emergency dental care. To schedule an appointment with your dentist, contact Healthy Smiles in Gary, IN, by calling 219-938-2637, or by emailing our office at email@example.com. We also proudly serve the residents of Gary, Miller, Miller Beach, and all surrounding communities.