Just as the rest of your body matures as you get older, your teeth also age over time and show signs of aging. You can counteract the natural signs of aging by practicing healthy habits and undergoing routine cosmetic dentistry treatments to keep your smile looking youthful. When your teeth are bright and healthy-looking, they reflect well on your overall health and appearance. Your smile is important; a dull, yellowed smile ages you. Preventive measures, like daily hygiene habits, twice-yearly dental cleanings and healthy diet, are great steps to keep your smile looking beautiful.
Tips to Keep Your Smile Looking Younger
1. Daily brushing and flossing: The best way to keep your teeth and gums healthy and youthful-looking is by practicing dental hygiene habits daily. Brushing twice a day and flossing at least once a day clear plaque build-up and prevent tartar build-up to prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
2. Dental cleanings and check-ups every six months: Visiting your dentist twice each year is vital to prevent dental disease that damages the health and appearance of your teeth and gums. Regular cleanings and check-ups ensure that your teeth and gums stay disease-free, which prevents the need for advanced treatments like tooth extraction, dental implants, dental crowns, or dentures. Preventive dentistry practices keep your teeth and gums looking young.
3. Whiten your smile: Aging can cause your teeth to yellow, plus as you become older, you have more and more years of stain build-up. Stained, dull-looking teeth can age you and make your smile less appealing. Teeth whitening is a quick, affordable way to give your smile an instant boost.
4. Dental bonding for minor fixes: If you have stains that are intrinsic, meaning they have developed from the interior of your teeth, then you’ll need to look beyond teeth whitening and opt instead for dental bonding to restore your white smile. Dental bonding can also correct minor imperfections, such as chips, cracks, and jagged edges, to make your smile more beautiful.
5. Make-over your smile: Want to completely revamp your smile? Porcelain veneers may be the answer! Porcelain veneers are thin shells that go over your natural teeth to give you a complete smile makeover.
ABOUT YOUR GARY, IN DENTIST:
As a native of northwest Indiana, Nicholas Cain, DDS, is dedicated to providing excellent general, preventive, and family dentistry services to the community that raised him. To schedule your appointment, call Healthy Smiles today at 219-938-2637.