Summertime presents unique dangers for your smile’s health. However, you can take a few simple precautions to help protect your smile all summer long. In today’s blog, we’re looking at preventive measures you can take to strengthen and safeguard your teeth and gums.
Try Our Quiz on Keeping Summer Smiles Healthy
- True or False: Sports drinks can lead to decay.
- True or False: You should opt for healthier summer snacks.
- True or False: You should also make time to see your dentist.
- True or False: Daily brushing and flossing is crucial.
- True. When we work out, the sweating and heat can lead to dry mouth. Without the usual amount of saliva, food particles and residue from drinks can remain on teeth for bacteria to break down. Since sports drinks contain sugars and acids, this makes the risk of decay particularly high. Instead, try drinking more water or following sports drinks with a bit of water.
- True. While the occasional ice cream or popsicle is fine, regularly indulging in sugary sweets can increase the risk of cavities forming. Instead, why not try sugar-free treats, low-fat yogurt, nuts, or fresh fruits and veggies? These can help you feel more energized and don’t put your smile at risk.
- True. For families, summer is a great time to make a checkup and cleaning appointments because kids have fewer conflicts. No one is missing school or after school activities! A routine visit can allow the dentist to monitor your smile and clean it, removing plaque and helping you enjoy a healthier smile, fresher breath, and brighter teeth.
- True. All summer you still need to care for your smile from home. Kids and adults alike need to brush their teeth twice a day, once when waking and again before going to bed. Flossing before bed is also very important.
Do You Need to See the Dentist?
We can offer tips for keeping your smiles healthy and beautiful for years to come. To schedule an appointment with your dentist, contact Healthy Smiles in Gary, IN, by calling 219-938-2637, or by emailing our office at email@example.com. We also proudly serve the residents of Gary, Miller, Miller Beach, and all surrounding communities.