When we say the phrase “root canal treatment” does a shiver go down your spine? Unfortunately, many people have a very wrong idea about this common and safe procedure. Most people find receiving one comparable to receiving a simple dental filling. They can help protect your teeth from serious oral health problems, such as dental infections.
Try Our Quiz on Root Canal
- True or False: Untreated decay can lead to infection.
- True or False: A root canal can save your tooth.
- True or False: We can remove the infection.
- True or False: Your tooth will look natural afterward.
- True. Over time, a cavity will continue to grow and spread through the tooth until bacteria comes into contact with the inner pulp. The pulp acts as your tooth’s nerve center, keeping it alive and healthy. What results is an infection, one that can threaten the health and stability of your smile.
- True. We use a root canal procedure to address infections and abscesses, returning the tooth to optimal health and function. Otherwise, the tooth can eventually die and require removal to prevent the spread of infection to other teeth or into the jawbone.
- True. After administering a local anesthetic, we will open the tooth and remove the infected tissue. We then add a restorative material we call gutta percha. After the material cures, we cap the tooth with a custom-made dental crown.
- True. No one will be able to tell the tooth has received treatment. We will custom-make the crown from lifelike materials, such as ceramic or zirconia, which ensures the completed restoration will blend seamlessly with your smile. The restoration also protects the tooth from further decay or infection. If you have any questions about the procedure, then contact our team today.
Learn More About Root Canal Treatment
We can address infected or abscessed teeth with endodontic treatment. To schedule an appointment with your dentist, contact Healthy Smiles in Gary, IN, by calling 219-938-2637, or by emailing our office at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also proudly serve the residents of Gary, Miller, Miller Beach, and all surrounding communities.