Dental hygiene practices such as flossing and tooth brushing are valuable tools in reducing plaque buildup and preventing cavities and gum disease. As we enter October, National Dental Hygiene Month, your Gary dentist Dr. Cain wants to review the benefits of daily flossing.
Steps to Flossing
Dr. Cain recommends flossing at least once a day. Flossing is a crucial step in home care because it cleans those hard to reach spots in between teeth that toothbrushes may not reach. It also cleans and protects the area along the gum line where gum disease can initiate. At each check up, Dr. Cain and his friendly hygienists will answer your questions regarding dental hygiene and can guide you on what style of dental floss or interdental cleaning flossers are best for you, but for now, follow Dr. Cain’s simple tips below:
- Gather about 18 inches of floss and wrap it around the middle fingers of each hand.
- Clasp the floss between the index finger and thumb, leaving about 1 to 2 inches of floss between the hands.
- Use thumbs to maneuver the floss between teeth, softly wiggling the floss back and forth to clean thoroughly
- When the floss reaches the gum line, be sure to pull it under the gum line
- Also be sure to wrap the floss around each tooth at the gum line
- Slide the floss up and down against the tooth surface
- Use a clean section of floss for each tooth
Text2Floss Mobile Phone Program
The American Dental Hygienists’ Association and the Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health teamed up to create Text2Floss, a one-week educational program that sends mobile phone users dental hygiene and flossing tips through text messages. The goal of the Text2Floss project is to instill good dental hygiene habits with daily reminders. Visit www.text2floss.com for more information.
About Your Gary Dentist
Dr. Nicholas Cain provides stellar preventive, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry in his comfortable Gary, IN office. To request an appointment with Healthy Smiles, contact us at 219-938-2637 or email email@example.com. We welcome patients living in and around Gary, Miller, and Miller Beach.